For those of you who don’t want to read the whole report, here are some of the important highlights of the game:
- J.K. Rowling reported on the event in the voice of Quidditch correspondent Ginny Potter and columnist Rita Skeeter
- Pre-match show: The Bulgarians brought Veelas, and Brazil, Curupiras. As usual, the men were enamored with the Veelas, but the Curupiras were more of an all-around crowd-pleaser. “The opening ceremony concluded with an interesting Veela/Curupira pyramid formation,” Ginny wrote.
- Almost everyone in the VIP box was supporting Bulgaria, except Harry’s son, Albus, who was decked out in green in support of Brazil. Hermione, on the other hand, did not lend her support for either team. (“Does she secretly hope to see Krum take the trophy at last? Or is this the kind of diplomatic neutrality one might expect of a ruthless careerist whose long-term ambition is undoubtedly to be Minister for Magic?“)
- Teddy Lupin and Victoire Weasley put on a very public display of affection at the Cup, much to the disapproval of Bill Weasley.
- Neville Longbottom was at the game, and his actions only encouraged the already established rumors that he is a drunk. We also learn that Neville is Albus’s godfather.
- Luna Lovegood was passing out snacks in the VIP box. We later learn that Luna’s wedding dress, with rainbows, spangles and a tiara of silver unicorn horns, was voted “Most Hideous Outfit of the Year” by Rita Skeeter’s readers.
- Luna’s husband, Rolf Scamander accompanied his wife to the event. (“While Lovegood and Scamander appear to be holding hands in the VIP box, this might well be because Rolf is trying to prevent his wife from putting on one of her famous Special Event Hats.“) Rolf was in conversation with Charlie Weasley (a.k.a. “The Unmarried Weasley)
- Ron and Hermione’s children look like their parents – Rose with her father’s “unfortunate” hair, and Hugo with his mother’s “bushy locks.”
- Percy Weasley is “greying and balding,” and is now Head of the Department of Magical Transportation, and is known as a “nit-picking bureaucrat” by his political opponents.
- Geroge Weasley has only one ear and was at the event with his wife, Angelina, and their kids, Fred and Roxanne. Against rumors that the Weasleys are having marital troubles, Ginny reaffirms Rita that Angelina left their house to help care for her ailing father.
- Viktor Krum caught the Snitch 2 hours and 45 minutes into the game in a race with Brazilian Seeker Silva. Final score: 60-170.
- And finally: Rita Skeeter fell unaccountably ill after the game as a result of a jinx to the solar plexus.