Cover revealed for fully Illustrated version of ‘Philosopher’s Stone’

The publishers of Harry Potter revealed today the cover for the fully-illustrated edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.

Illustrated by award-winning artist Jim Kay, the cover features the Hogwarts Express stationed at Platform Nine and Three-Quarters. With owls flying overhead, a young Harry Potter stands in the corner of the picture, in awe of the scene around him.

The U.K. cover for the book, to be published by Bloomsbury:

Kay_Bloomsbury

U.S. Harry Potter publisher Scholastic simultaneously released their version of the cover, donning the iconic logo of the Harry Potter brand.

HarryPotterJimKay_resize

The first ever illustrated Harry Potter book will hit store shelves around the globe this year on October 15th. Preorder the edition from Bloomsbury here and Scholastic here.

Advertisements

J.K. Rowling’s Harvard commencement address to be published in 2015

vgljkrJ.K. Rowling’s 2008 Harvard University commencement address will be published in an illustrated hardback by Little, Brown on April 14, 2015.

Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination will include the author’s speech alongside illustrations by artist Joel Holland. Holland previously worked on the cover for J.K. Rowling’s The Casual Vacancy.

In the speech, J.K. Rowling discusses the struggles she faced in her post-graduate years and how she overcame hardship. The commencement speech is available to watch on YouTube here.

From the press release:

Now published for the first time in book form, Very Good Lives offers J.K. Rowling’s words of wisdom for anyone at a turning point in life, asking the profound and provocative questions: How can we embrace failure? And how can we use our imagination to better both ourselves and others?

Harvard President Drew Gilpin Faust said, “I have heard and read many commencement speeches, none more moving and memorable than J.K. Rowling’s. Years after her visit to Harvard, people still talk about it—and still find inspiration in her singular evocation of the idea that living a meaningful life so often means daring to risk failure.  What a powerful example she embodies, and what a remarkable gift her speech was, and is, for all of us privileged to hear it then—and to read it now.”

90% percent of the book’s proceeds will go to J.K. Rowling’s charity, Lumos, which helps disadvantaged children. The remaining 10% will be donated to university-wide financial aid at Harvard University. Little, Brown Book Group (UK) and Little, Brown & Company (US) are also making a donation to Lumos, which is currently undergoing a

Very Good Lives will be published worldwide in English next April, as a £9.99 (~$15-16) hardback and in e-book. It is not currently available for pre-order.

New cover for Chamber of Secrets unveiled

Today at Book Expo America, the new cover for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was unveiled.

Check out the cover below (click for full size):

Courtesy of Scholastic

The scene depicted on the cover is that in which Harry flown to the Burrow by the Weasleys in their Ford Anglia. As with the first cover, it was designed by award winning artist Kazu Kibuishi. Our friends at Hypable caught up with Kibuishi to talk about the covers at Book Expo America, and you can read their interview with him here.

In February, it was announced that Scholastic would be releasing new covers of the Harry Potter series in honor of the 15th anniversary of the first book’s US release. With this initial announcement, a new version of the first book’s cover was unveiled (view it here).

The new paperback editions of the books will be released on August 27th. The remaining covers will be revealed over the summer.